Monday, July 30, 2007

Hamburger Buns

So I was in a 'can't be bothered going out and buying any' mood. So looked up a recipe for hamburger buns.
They turned out pretty yummy! As close to 'store bought' as I have ever got.

Here is the link, but I will type it out here so I have it on my records

1 cup milk
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (7g) envelope active dry yeast
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water

Combine the milk, 1 cup of water, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then remove from the heat and let stand until lukewarm. If the mixture is too hot, it will kill the yeast.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour and yeast. Pour in wet ingredients and stir until the dough starts to pull together. If you have a stand mixer, use the dough hook to mix for about 8 minutes. If not, knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let stand until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Punch down the dough and divide into 12 portions They should be a little larger than a golf ball. Make tight balls out of the dough by pulling the dough tightly around and pinching it at the bottom. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. After the rolls sit for a minute and relax, flatten each ball with the palm of your hand until it is 3 to 4 inches wide. You may want to oil your hand first. Set rolls aside until they double in size, about 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Mix together the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of water in a cup or small bowl. Brush onto the tops of the rolls. Position 2 oven racks so they are not too close to the top or bottom of the oven.
Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove the rolls from the oven and return them to different shelves so each one spends a little time on the top. Continue to bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until nicely browned on the top and bottom.

OK what I did differently. Didn't accurately measure the yeast, well kind of did, 2 teaspoons and a little bit. Didn't accurately measure the butter either, sort of just cut it up and thought 'yeah that looks like 2 tablespoons', used caster sugar. Didn't use a saucepan, I put it all in a bowl and zapped it in the microwave for 3 minutes. Then had to put it in the fridge till it cooled down.
Used 2.5 cups of plain white flour, and 3 cups of plain wholemeal.
Following someone elses advice somewhere, I put the bowl with the dough into the oven and placed an oven dish filled with HOT water on a rack underneath the bowl. Left it to rise, it ended up being 1.5hours as I had an almost-nap. The bowl was full of dough, so it may have risen a bit more than normal, not sure.
I cut it into 10 pieces not 12 so the rolls would be a bit bigger.
But yes I am very happy with this recipe and will use it again :)

No comments: